In this post, we consider the frequently used abbreviations and acronym used across schools and colleges by students and learned individuals.
Abbreviations are normal part of the school routine as they are used to represent long forms of a particular word, it might be the name of an association, certificate awarded by a particular College or school.
Abbreviations are also used in Nigeria tertiary institutions such as including Universities, College of education and Polytechnics.
Majority however, do not know the original meaning of this abbreviations and acronym even though they used most of them everyday.
Below are different abbreviations used across schools and colleges and their full meaning explained in detailsH
MBBS= in Latin: Medicinae Baccalaureus Baccalaureus Chirurgiae; Simply the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. This is the first professional degrees in medicine and surgery awarded upon graduation from medical school.
GPA= Grade Point Average: This is a number that shows the summary of a student’s performance. Generally,
B= 4 points,
C= 3 points,
D= 2 points
E= 1 point.
OND= Ordinary National Diploma : The is the certificate obtained after successfully completing the first studies in a Polytechnic or any Diploma awarding institution. Usually, it is obtained after 2-3 years.
HND= Higher national Diploma: This is the advance form for the National Diploma certificate. Higher national Diploma HND is awarded after completing another 2-3 years after attaining the National Diploma
CGPA= Commutative Grade point Average . This is the commutative average of all the courses taken in a semester. Depending on the country and Institution involved (University, Polytechnic and College of education) CGPA graded mostly on a scale of 1-4 or 1-4
4.50- 5.00= First-class
3.50- 4.45= Second class Upper
3.00-3.45 = Second class lower
2.50- 2.90= Third class
HOD= Head of Department: This abbreviation is used in almost in every sphere of academic milieu in both higher and preliminary education level.
M.Sc= Master of Science: This is an advance certificate usually obtained after the completion of the first University first degree ( Bsc).
CV= Curriculum Vitae This is a documen which at a glance shows the educational qualification, skills and other details about an individual.
LLB= (Literally Legum Baccalaureus or simply Bachelor of laws is the first professional college degree obtained in the college of Law
Abbreviations in Schools and Colleges: Names of Certificate and Programs
You often come across abbreviated titles and qualification people used to address others. But most times, you don’t bother to know what this abbreviations stands for. Okay, let’s look at some examples;
- M.BA= Master of Business Administration
- M.Phil= Master of Philosophy
- PGD= Post Graduate Diploma
- Bsc= Bachelor of Science
- Pharm D= Pharmacy Doctor
- B.Eng= Bachelor of engineering
- B.A = Bachelor of arts
- B.edu = Bachelor of education
Abbreviations in Nigeria institutions: Name of Associations and Unions
Different Unions exit across universities and colleges, they are usually addressed with the acronyms and short forms of their official names. Examples are listed below;
- ASUU= Academic Staff Union of Universities
- COEASU= College of Education Academic Staff Union
- SSANU= Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities
- SUG= Student Union Government
- PANS= Pharmacy Association of Nigeria
- NANS= National Association of Nigeria Students
- ASUP= Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic
- NASU= Non Academic Staff Union
- SSANU= Senior Staff Academic Union of University
- ASUSS= Academic Staff Union of Secondary Schools
- JOHESU= Junior Organization of Health Extension
- JCI = Junior Chartered Institute
- Abbreviations in Nigeria institutions: Examination Boards
- Post-Utme= Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination
- UTME = Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination
- JAMB= Joint Admission and Matriculation Board
- JUPEB= Joint Universities Preliminary Education Board
- IJMB= Interim Joint Matriculation Board
- WASSCE= West Africa Senior Secondary Certificate Examination
- WAEC= West Africa Examination Council
- NECO = National Examination Council
- DE= Direct Entry
Abbreviations in Schools and Colleges: Others
- SHIM= Health Information Management
- CS= Caesarian section
- AP=Arithmetics progression
- TDB= Till day break
- STEM= Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics
- STEAM= Science Technology Engineering, Art and Mathematics
- ICT= Information Communication and Technology
- SAT= Scholastic Aptitude Test
- ACT= American College Testing
- EG= Exempli gratia
- ETC= Etcetera