The importance of making the right jamb subject combination for Physiology or any other higher institution courses cannot be over emphasized. For you to be admitted into any school to study your desired course in any institution in Nigeria, you must meet the requirement of making the right subject combination in JAMB and your secondary school leaving certificate examination in either WAEC, NECO or any of it’s equivalent certificate.
Every other questions you might have about the course Physiology such as what the course is about, which schools in Nigeria afford you the best facilities to study physiology and where you can work with a physiology certificate will equally be answered in this post.
JAMB SUBJECT COMBINATION FOR PHYSIOLOGY
The right Joint admission and matriculation board(JAMB) subject combination for Physiology must contain the following subjects
Use of English
If you’re going to choose Physiology as your course of study, then this four subjects are nonnegotiable in your quest and even for other equivalent medical courses including Nursing, Anatomy, Physiotherapy etcetera. Failure to choose rightly might lead to you being given another course that suitably match your wrong subject combination or total denial of admission.
In your JAMB exam you’re expected to have at least 220 above if you desire to study Physiology in federal Universities such as UNIBEN, UNILAG, OAU and the likes as there is much more competition for this course in federal institutions. A score of 180 to 200 will put you on a safer side if you opt in for Physiology is a state university .Whichever way you need to score high in your JAMB exam.
Click here to read the list of Nigerian Universities and their Vice chancellors
Note: Individual institutions decided which best Jamb subject combination they want and so you should do well to always check if there are any alterations in the subject combination for your school of choice compared to the general JAMB subject combination for Physiology. For example;
- University of Benin only consider candidates with at least five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at not more than two (2) sittings
- University of Ilorin requires ‘O’ level pass in English with distinction in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University requires at least any three (3) of Physics Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology
WAEC SUBJECT COMBINATION FOR PHYSIOLOGY
For easy admission into the university, it is not just enough to make the right jamb combination, this must be complemented by the right WAEC subject combination also. Most schools require you to have at least 5 credit passes in your O’level exam chiefly among which are English and and Mathematics. This is also applicable to other Senior secondary Certificates such as NECO, GCE ,NABTEB and others.
For Physiology, the right WAEC (West Africa Examination Council) subject combination include;
Click here to read the list of Private Universities and their Vice chancellors
DIRECT ENTRY REQUIREMENTS TO STUDY PHYSIOLOGY
Maybe you’re a direct entry aspirant trying to further your education and obtain a university degree in Physiology, then it is pertinent that you know the right obligatory courses that determines your chances of admission.
For you to be eligible to study Physiology as a DE student, you must have studied science related course in your ‘A’ level program either in a polytechnic or college of education.
Generally,a direct entry candidate is expected to have at least Two ‘A’ level passes in any of Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Zoology plus UTME entry requirements.
Note: The direct entry requirements also differs from one institution to the other for example;
- Afebabola university Ado-ekiti (ABUAD) and University of Benin (UNIBEN) require three (3) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry, Physics and Biology/Zoology.
- UNIBEN accept only a minimum of 2.1 that it, second class lower division in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Zoology and Botany
- UNICAL. and PH doesn’t not accept direct entry into Physiology
- UNILORIN aspirate must have ‘A’ level passes from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- UNILAG consider candidates with passes in three (3) JUPEB/‘A’ level subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
- Ladoke Akintola University consider candidates with ‘A’ level passes in Biology and Chemistry or Physics or ND/HND upper credit in relevant programme.
TOP UNIVERSITIES TO STUDY PHYSIOLOGY IN NIGERIA
Physiology is the study of bodily functions, it is the core of medicine and bedrock to medical science in general. To study physiology in Nigeria you need wisely consider your options.
Below are too schools which have been carefully shortlisted considering how sophisticated their facility is and the product of their school of medicine across the country.
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- University of Nigeria (UNN)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Ambrose Alli university (AAU)
- Delta state university (DELSU)
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A PHYSIOLOGY CERTIFICATE ?
As degree holder in Physiology, you’re open to careers and jobs in research institutes and also healthcare center such as hospitals, and laboratories. With a physiology certificate you could work as a;
- Biomedical scientist
- Research associates
- Research scienctist.
- Cardiac Clinical services
- Medical sales representative.
- Science writer
- Lecturer or secondary school teacher
NOTE:The information above is subject to the change of individual institutions at any time. Therefore ,always check for updates in order not to make wrong subject combinations