10 Facts about UNIBEN: This article share insights into some interesting facts as well as the achievements about the fifty years old University.
In celebrating 50th anniversary of the prestigious University of Benin UNIBEN, efforts has been made to carry out a diligent research about the University and as a result, this article talks about some interesting and mouthwatering facts about the University of Benin.
These facts span through the University history, to some feats the University has achieved as well as other interesting facts such as notable alumni and some others
Well, as You’d already guess we start with the year of establishment. University was founded in the year 1970 as tbe Institution of Technology Benin City, Edo state
Officially, the Institute of Technology became the UNIVERSITY OF BENIN after it gained the National University Commission (NUC) full accreditation on July 1, 1971 a year after it’s establishment.
The University of Benin did not begin as a federal University. On April 1, 1975, the University at the request of the Edo state government was taken over by the Federal government hence it became a federal government owned University.
Before 2020 a total of 9 Vice Chancellor has been appointed in the University. Professor Lillian Salami in 2020 became the 10th Vice Chancellor of the School.j
Interestingly, University of Benin is the first University in Nigeria to develop software independently for the Computer Based Test (CBT) for PUME/PUDE and other internal and external examinations
Another fact that you probably do not know about the UNIBEN is that the varsity is the first African University in history history to advance to final stage of Petrobowl Championship in USA
UNIBEN is among the several institutions affiliated to the Association of African Universities AAU, An organization whose headquarters is at Accra, Ghana.
Professor(Mrs) Salami, the current University Vice Chancellor is a member of the Advisory council to his royal majesty, the Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo, Ukukpolokpolo, Ogidigan, Oba Ewuare II”.
The University was the first public institution to be directed by a femal vice chancellor in a person of Proff. Allele Williams .
Among the federal varsities in Nigeria, only five are older than the University of Benin Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Kaduna 1962, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun state 1962, University of Ibadan, Oyo state, 1948, University of Lagos, Lagos State 1962, University of Nigeria NSUKKA, Anamabra 1960
In history of Federal Universities in Nigeria, only UNIBEN has had two female Vice chancellors Prof (Mrs) Grace Alele-Williams in 1985 and Professor (Mrs) Lillian I. Salami in 2020.
NOTABLE UNIVERSITY OF BENIN ALUMNI.
Apart from the interesting facts and figures about the University of Benin, UNIBEN, highlighted above. The University has produced notable and well to do individuals spread across different sectors including business, entertainment, Politics and so on in the Country.
The list of these individuals is not exhaustive, notably among the University of Benin alumni include
- Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, Co-founder Access bank PLC Course of study: Law LL.B
- Mitchell Elegbe, General managing director and CEO of Interswitch. Course of study: Electrical Engineering
- Babatunde Raji Fashola, former Lagos state governor and current Minister for works , power and housing in Nigeria. Course of study: Law LL.B
- James Ibori, former governor of Delta state Course of study: Bsc. Economics and statistics
- Richard Mofe-Damijo, popularly known as RMD, a Nollywood actor and OAP Course of study: Theatre Arts
- Bright Okpocha popularly known as Basket mouth, a Comedian and nollywood actor Course of study: Sociology and anthropology
- Amaju Pinnick, Current president of the Nigeria Football Federation. Course of study: Political Science and Public Administration
- Oladipo Agboluaje, An Actor Course of study: Theater arts
- Benedict Peters, Founder of Aieto groups Course of study: Geography and Town planning
- Wellington Jighere 2015 World Scrabble Championship winner Course of study: